15 December, 2008

I have been flogged back to the keyboard...

Some goddesses are puzzled by this...like me...

even though the Goddess of Everything is a very nice lady, she is a strict taskmistress. (NO, not in any BD/S&M way! get your minds back up in the gutter with the rest of us...where it's crowded!)

She actually reminded me that it's been almost a month/over a month since I posted. I'm still sick, the kids are still around and Rick hasn't left me yet. All good! LOL

I will say that we had a good visit with an old friend who was home from Iraq for a few days. Have been following his book, it's doing very well. (Thanks for giving the boy advice on his future. He's so intense it's scary sometimes.)
But I blush to say I haven't kept up on the blogs that he and his wife write in the last few weeks. (Sorry guys!) I seem to have been doing my level best to cough a lung up or lose an eye.

My girl is taking a break from sports for herself and has taken a job as the scorekeeper for the basketball team. So she gets to see more of the games than we do!

The boy is playing basketball (or not playing this last week because I don't want his ankle permanently injured!) Currently he's very irritated with mom, cuz mom won't let him play or practice on his sprained ankle...cuz the boy has NO concept of when to quit and give it a rest, and his coach won't make him sit out when the drills are rough on an ankle that has been permanently injured since October Football season. We discovered the kid is a bit flat footed and pronates his foot when he's running. Orthodics correct some of it, but the start and stop drills are hard on ankles that aren't totally used to running in the correct position yet. :) So mom is the bad guy.

I'll just have to deal. I'd rather he and his teammates were irritated with me now, than find out when he's 18 that his ankle isn't up to the career he wants to follow. He's got the typical sports mentality of ice it, tape it, bandage it, if the pain is tolerable keep playing....hmmm wonder where he got that (speaks the woman with a leg scarred from a legiment repair and who spent part of every season in an ankle brace or nursing broken toes or fingers. Playing through pain is one thing, but continuing to injure a joint and keeping it too weak to heal is something else entirely.

This picture is unusual for a game in that he is standing almost still while his teammate is zipping by.

This second one is much more indicative of the shots I normally get. :)

He's lost about 20 lbs between football and basketball...and he has muskcles! He's almost not my baby anymore! (*whine*) I think all the weight is being redistributed in his arms and shoulders!

Sorry, I wasn't going to make this whole post about the boy, but it's what I'm thinking about right now.

from a sneezy puzzled goddess

2 comments:

Goddess of Everything said...

At last, not one, but two posts. Yay!
I bow down to your ability to stand firm on the sports injury issue. He may not know to thank you when he is old and NOT BROKEN. But, you will know what you did for him. My eldest did/does everything "balls out", and he is paying for it now with a wrist that doesn't have full mobility, a shoulder that keeps popping out of its socket, and probably some drain bamage from hitting one two many soccer balls with his head.
You rock on MOM.

Unknown said...

I just get so guilty when he rides me to let him play...but he did come home last night after we taped up his ankle for practice and said his ankle hadn't been an issue all night. That he hadn't felt it. Like it was justification for HIS position! LOL Dad and I both pointed out that he made our point about a few days break! LOL

PS. did you know when GUYS tape over an injury on an ankle they do it over a sock? How weird, huh? I had my ankle taped so often I felt like I had no skin on it! But the boy is now missing foot and shin hair and knows what depillatory waxing feels like. :P Oops! I also nipped his leg with the scissors getting the sticky stuff off his leg! Bad Mommy, no cookie!

RANDOM READS FROM OUR FAMILY LIBRARY