31 August, 2008

Clothes from hel...

Some goddesses are puzzled by this...like me...

I swear to all the gods that there is a Hel. It is going to the stores during back-to-school shopping with two teenagers...both of whom have very strong opinions on what they will and won't wear. Ugh! We just got home and I had to vent. Added to this nightmare is a nasty list that still has 3 stores to go...the most expensive three. :(

I really dislike going to Zumiez...the clerks always make me feel like I'm 300 years old and totally out of it in less than 30 seconds; it takes my kids at least an hour to make me feel like that. :)

About today. Did you know they only have about 3 different models of court shoes for girls at Big5? They have about 10 for guys...3 for girls. (Imagine that!)

Strangely, volleyball does pretty much need decent shoes if you aren't going to be plagued by shin splints like I was during my school sports era. Of course, in that day and age Nikes and Adidas had just come out and parents like mine regularly refused to spend that kind of money on tennis shoes or "sneakers". It wasn't evident then that shoes DO make a difference to how your feet develop and how much pain you're in during sports.

Me, I'm a soft touch parent as opposed to my parents, at least my husband thinks so. I say that I just want them to have the best experience they can have in school and stay physically active.

Something that I know will be a major challenge for my dear daughter. She's already about 5'5" and stacked to put it impolitely. Poor kid, we have an impossible time getting her the support she needs to run and be active. Until her current coach, she pretty much hated sports and anything to do with them. But her currrent coach is an absolute jewel and realizes that, without specially engineered undergarments, running and jumping are actually painful. Strangely enough, this has started to be addressed in the last few years and their are actually specially designed sports bras for more well endowed women. THEY BEEN A LONG TIME COMING!

I and my daughter have a theory. If guys had that much trouble supporting what was between their legs a heavy duty sling would have been invented in 30 seconds...oh wait, it was, it's called a jock strap. Now that women are finally in the undergarment industry we are actually seeing some clothes produced that help the problems a women's body has to deal with and be comfortable.

They may be ugly shoes and bras and pants, but gee, they're finally comfortable. It's always amazed me how much more comfortable male clothing is than female clothing. But that WAS in the days before guys had to use one hand to keep their pants from falling off their @ss when they walked fast.

My husband has an idea for a bra for our daughter; he found it here.

a puzzled goddess writing from clothing Hel...

No comments:

RANDOM READS FROM OUR FAMILY LIBRARY