25 July, 2008

Sipping at the virtual stream and throwing rocks...

Some goddesses are puzzled by this...like me...

Okay, some days this goddess must admit she's slower than others....but I really think that little hot spot on the top of the screen that takes you to the next blog is kinda cool. And it takes you to a different one each time.

It's like sticking your fingers in a virtural stream and coming out with a cool, new, shiny rock every time. Sometimes the rock's kinda dirty, sometimes it's pure white and others it's totally incomprehensible.

Yeah, I pulled up a polo shirt sales blog, a boyscout troop in the Appalachians, a french zombie girl, an LA mansion that rents to the Hispanic population for partie
s and a Hispanic dance group that looked like they were having a lot of fun! *grin*

The main artwork on this one http://nocheestrellas.blogspot.com/ was really cool. I'm still trying to figure out if it's a photoshopped picture, or a drawing.

It did what art is supposed to do; it made me catch my breath and stop and think. The lighting, pose and use of the musical symbols to clothe the model made me think of catching the muse of dance (
Terpsichore, aint the Internet wonderful?) in an introspective moment. All without being able to understand a word that was written on the page.

Of course, if I was a petty goddess I'd be jealous of all those blogs of the vacationing families and the beautiful places they see. (me green with envy? of course not) Instead I'll just soak up how beautiful the pictures are and be glad that people DO appreciate some of what they have....they wouldn't be bragging about it otherwise, right?


Back on throwing these rocks, I keep thinking it can wait until another day.


But It's that parenting thing and trying to successfully get across a message to a teenage hero. I'm having trouble convincing him that not everyone else is like that or has that ambition, but that it doesn't make them bad people....just different. He really gets disappointed in people he cares about not having the same limitless depth of want, no need, to make the world a better place.

As a mom, I think I made a mistake using the, "whoever among you who is without sin. Let them cast the first stone." line.

Teenagers are young enough to still believe they are without sin (of course they are, and they are right all the time as well, and nobody has ever had it as bad as they do and people just don't understand...but back to the topic at hand....)

A few years back when I was telling the kids to get batman out of the toaster I never thought I would be having introspective conversations with my teenagers the like of which I haven't experienced since the all-nighters during college when we were avoiding studying.

How do you explain to a budding hero who has so many good intentions that the people he wants to spend his life saving are just people and that not everyone will want to do the same? Saving the world is such a noble goal, but if you are up on a pedestal while doing it, how
many people are you missing in the dirt? Or, are you so far above them that crushing them is like stepping on an ant? How do you instill compassion in a young man who feels the world's pain so deeply that all he wants to do is alleviate it? and thinks that everyone else feels that deeply too.

I think the Christian analogies were probably the wrong way to go, but the Rede and the Rule sometimes don't give a mom the answers. If you don't mind being judged because you are that righteous in your own heart, how does the rule affect you?

a puzzled goddess like me still has trouble figuring this stuff out...


and I'm putting this picture in just 'cuz I want to...my sister did the design based on a woodcut by Holbein I believe and I did the painting for an SCA charter...but being on a biblical bent brought it to mind. :) The 4 horsemen riding across the sky is always an image of coolness.


Blessings all...pg

No comments:

RANDOM READS FROM OUR FAMILY LIBRARY