16 September, 2009

No, he didn't hit me in the eye.

Some goddesses are puzzled by this...like me...

To those who have been following the progress, or lack thereof...the cataract surgery is a no-go, at least until after Christmas it looks like. Not like I was really looking forward to somebody that looks young enough to almost be my daughter at this point approaching my eye with a laser and breaking up the lens in the back of my eye. Then inserting a new lens through the incision and letting it unfurl in the place the old one was in before it was liquified by the laser...yeah, sounds like something I want to experience on a daily basis...not...for those who didn't catch the sarcasm that was dripping from those words. And the rank fear.

But, sight for the one eyed is not to be. In the photo eye scans they took two weeks before they would be doing surgery (it was scheduled for tomorrow originally) the doctor discovered that the uveitis is causing inflamation and swelling at the back of my eye again. The weird line drawing to the side is not a child's rendering of a hank of hair, or something else strange... ;D

The top line represents the normal shape, kind of, of the back of your eye in cross section.

The second line down is the original swelling I saw on the photos they took of the cross sections of my eye.

I still had some of the non-swollen area left in the back of my eye. My eye stayed free of any swelling for over three months after the initial injection of steroids into my eye socket to reduce the swelling.

Of course, this injection caused the cataract on my lens, which was kind of glossed over as a possible side effect...glaucoma was mentioned, and other effects were mentioned, but not the fact that the steriods themselves in that quantity would fog the lens in the eye and make it necessary to replace it. :}

The lower line is representative of the line the doctor drew for me this time of where the swelling is now that my immune system has decided to attack the eye again.

So, I got to go in and get another injection of steroids into my eye socket on monday.

Yes, fun and games boys and girls...it was almost as much fun to look forward to and experience as the actual cataract surgery, and now I still have that to look forward to as well. But now, I have even less sight in the eye until I can get the new lens in.

For those who are wondering, the reason they won't put the lens in while there is swelling at the back of the eye is because the surgery itself causes swelling at the back of the eye. The combination of the two can make you lose the sight in your eye permanently. Not something that I, or the doctors, want to risk. Even though I'm impatient to get back my depth perception, peripheral vision and all that.

Until then I'll just have to be...
the goddess of the lovely eye patch

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, you could always pretend that you're a pirate and say "Arrr, there matey...." LOL

Sorry to hear about your eye problems....hugs and good thoughts!

Goddess of Everything said...

Hmmm... Two words of advice:

Never eat soup while wearing an eye patch.

I've had laser surgery. It doesn't hurt, but the puking in the car after the valium. Now there's a yuck. So, take a plastic bag on the day after visit to the doc.

AND, a heartfelt hug. Let us know when you do go in for surgery, dear Puzzled Goddess.

Unknown said...

Thanks guys. Won't know for a while yet. I'm just dealing with the steriod shot now. What is it about steroids anyway? Love ya!

RANDOM READS FROM OUR FAMILY LIBRARY